Every consumer of CBD has wondered, at some point, how long does CBD last in the body? Generally, CBD tends to stay in the body for two to five days. However, this isn’t a given at all times as multiple factors can affect the duration of CBD remaining in the body. In some instances, CBD may even stay in the system for weeks. Even after the effects of CBD wears off, the product may remain in the system. It is difficult to determine exactly how long it remains. The effects of CBD tend to last from 2 to 6 hours. Again, it all depends on your body, how much you take, and how you take it.
A study published in 1991 analyzed the CBD concentration in blood following high doses administered daily for six weeks. One week afterward, the traces of CBD in blood were ‘virtually undetectable’.
There are certain factors to be considered when calculating how long CBD stays in the body. Some of these factors are listed below:
- Amount Consumed– The first and most obvious factor is that the higher the dose that was consumed, the longer will CBD remain in the system.
- Physical activity– Metabolization quickens with the amount of physical activity a person performs. Therefore, how much physical activity a person does will also affect the speed at which CBD gets metabolized. If someone works out daily, their body will get rid of CBD faster. Those who tend to metabolize slower, however, will have CBD remain in their body for a longer time in comparison.
- Frequency– A person who frequently consumes CBD will have a more difficult time getting rid of it. The more frequently they consume CBD, the longer it will remain in the body. This is because the amount of CBD in the body builds up over time when consumed on a regular basis. Using CBD occasionally ensures that it will clear out of the body faster. For those taking CBD for the first time, the process will be even faster.
- Body Composition– Substances such as CBD and other materials work on different bodies in different ways. This is because every individual has a different composition consisting of various factors. These factors are water content, metabolism, BMI (Body Mass Index). Such factors also determine how long CBD remains in the system. Additionally, CBD is a compound that is fat-soluble. This means that it can be stored in fat cells. People who have fewer amount of fat-cells will metabolize CBD faster. Therefore, people with more body fat will have CBD remain in their system for longer.
- Additional Food– Taking CBD on empty stomach results in it getting metabolized faster. This is because the digestion of CBD slows down when taken on a full stomach. It is similar to alcohol in the way that consuming alcohol on an empty stomach makes the alcohol affect you sooner. It also leads to alcohol clearing out faster. Consuming CBD with food, or taking it as an edible, will lead to slower metabolization.
Mode of Consumption
There are multiple ways of using CBD. The method in which it is used is an important aspect that can determine how long it lasts in the system. In fact, the method of consumption can affect the onset of the effects and how long the effects last for. Existing CBD studies were reviewed and the results showed that the CBD half-life was 2 to 5 days following an oral dose administered daily. Different methods lead to different results regarding the half-lives.
The different forms of CBD are:
- Capsules or pills
- Lotion or cream
Vaping CBD results in the product entering your lungs. This leads to a quicker onset following which CBD leaves the body quickly.
How long does CBD oil stay in your system? In comparison to vaping, CBD Tinctures and oils last longer. This is because oils and tinctures, which are placed under the tongue, get absorbed easily. Edibles, as mentioned earlier, take some time to be metabolized. Creams and lotions too take longer to enter and leave the system.
When do the effects begin?
The effects of CBD are also influenced by the same factors listed above. The mode of consumption, body composition, the dose of CBD, can all determine how soon CBD kicks in or how it affects the consumer. In general, the effects can be felt within fifteen minutes of consumption. Edibles like CBD Gummies may take longer, such as an hour or two. Because of the long onset time, people often tend to consume more edibles than the necessary amount.
How long do the effects last?
Again, different factors will help determine this. The effects of CBD are generally calming and relaxing. The effects will remain for different durations depending on the method of consumption.
Vapes will wear off sooner, lasting for an hour or so.
Comparatively, oils or edibles may last for more than an hour. The effect of edibles can even last up to eight hours. CBD taken sublingually will also take effect within one hour. It must be noted that the fast-acting modes are more likely to wear off faster. For skin patches, effects may last for up to two days.
In the case of creams such as CBD Pain Salve, effects can last for a longer time. It is difficult to determine the onset of CBD products that are not psychoactive.
Drug Tests and Breastfeeding
Generally, CBD doesn’t show up on a blood test if it doesn’t contain THC. However, if it contains THC, a drug test will spot it as THC is the main ingredient present in marijuana. THC is what brings about the effect of being high. So how long does hemp stay in your system? As mentioned earlier, it ranges from 2-5 days. While CBD may not produce this effect, it can still remain in the body for longer periods, just like THC. Many CBD products may contain THC.
It is important to be aware of the type of CBD product that is being consumed. There are three types of CBD products: Full Spectrum, Broad Spectrum, and CBD only products. All of these contain various to no levels of THC. Depending on this, a drug test may result as positive or negative. Frequent use of CBD products can also result in a false positive during drug testing. Continuous consumption leads to CBD and THC build-up in the human body.
Regarding breastfeeding, there is no clear consensus on how babies may be affected. What is known for sure is that CBD is definitely transferable through breast milk. Along with that, any other substances such as THC may also be transferred. It can also not be predicted accurately how long CBD remains in the system, as it can remain for days. Therefore, it is best to avoid CBD while breastfeeding.
How Long Does CBD remain in various parts of the body?
How long does THC from CBD stay in the system? Depending on intake, THC can be detectable for up to 90 days in hair and from anywhere between 3 days to a month in urine.
- Blood: While THC is detectable in blood for about five hours, metabolites may remain for seven days. Therefore, taking CBD products with THC would only lead to verifiable results if the test was done on a blood sample that was taken within this specific time frame.
- Urine: After heavy use, there have been cases where CBD remained in the body for about a week. The window of detection for some cases also extended up to a month after consumption. In case the exposure isn’t repeated, THC can be detectable in urine for up to three days after consumption. Urine tests will come back positive if more than 2000mg of CBD is consumed in a day.
- Saliva: Research has shown that CBD products containing THC can be detected in saliva for around 72 hours. However, continuous consumption of CBD products could lead to the compound being present in saliva for longer periods of time. Information regarding this is comparatively rare, however.
- Hair: Typically, CBD products can lead to the compound being detected in hair for around three months since the time of last consumption. For THC, it is unlikely that trace amounts will show up in a test.
We have a close approximation of the answer to the question: how long does CBD stay in your system? It boils down to the composition of the body. There is no clear answer regarding how long CBD will take to leave the body, however physical activity, mode of intake, and whether it was taken with or without food are all determining factors. Instances of heavy usage can lead to CBD staying in the body for a week or even a month.